Thursday, March 31, 2011

the dilemma of the modern malay women part 1

I like to observe people and just sometimes make theories and assumptions about their life n stuff.Having read Malay Dilemma by Tun Mahathir n yearning for quite sometime now to read his latest tome, I suddenly come with the idea of jotting some thoughts along those lines. Now.. I know some of you will just laugh me off but Tun Mahathir's thoughts are brilliant and he hit some things right on the mark especially about the bit that more n more young women are populating higher institutions compared to their male counterparts. So what become of these young women in the future? Well let me tell you what I've found out..these are some social observations that felt true to someone who considered herself as a modern malay women. Being a women is hard enough and unlike their western counterparts malay women had it even tougher..it is not enough that u got all A's in SPM or what not..graduating with flying colours from the uni is the easiest part..honestly getting a job is easier for me at least..the hardest part is well..trying to find a man that can accept you. I know it's cliche and probably throw me back a few years back in feminisim but really the world haven't change much actually. I've tons of single successful girlfriends who are still not married. Heck..even my sister and my sister in law are not married. Why? Are they too choosy? Aren't they pretty enough? Nope..the guys are the problem..in the Malay world, women can never outshine the men. You can be successfull but you cannot flaunt, you can be modern but you are expected to go into the kitchen and cook regularly, you can be smart but you better shut your mouth and keep your thoughts to yourself. It's tiring to be someone your not. Being sarcastic is a no-no. Future mother in laws will never ask what ur CGPA is or how many A's u manage to get in ur SPM. Nah..in reality women are supposed to look good and appear soft and ladylike to grab these few quality Malay guys that are hard to find. Sometimes being stuck in the office with nothing to do, I do make some crazy theories such as: -what's the point of studying hard and achieving greatness in your early years or studies if in the end people will just judge how successfull you are by looking whether you are taken or not..or in malay words laku -so it's just better that women act dumb and wait for men to marry them like in the Regency era or something where debutantes go to balls and look for suitable suitor Really it's sad that in my course of life i've met some really smart but slightly older women who are successful but people will still talk like this e.g eh tak kahwin lagi?tula eksyen sangat sebab pangkat tinggi bla bla bla siapa nak bla bla but what happens if the women are not that successful? e.g siapa nak minah tu biasa je tak cantik pun gosh,people are damn cruel!and people who said things such as these are women themselves. so the next time you meet with a single women please be kind and don't say things like bila nak kawin? or gossip about them being tak laku or jual mahal let's change the malay perception one at a time..shall we?

2 comments:

  1. LOL. I was so bored & did some back track reading of ur blog. And I've found THIS ENTRY!

    *Nod nod* I guess it's the single life for me as always, as I'm being labelled too 'choosy' so many times.

    Heck, why can't I be choosy? I'm entitled to it! My man needs to satisfy me physically & spiritually (and emotionally, mentally, the list goes on...keke).

    Whatever! I guess being fabulous is too much for most men too handle anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hear ye..hear ye..my sister has spoken!

    ReplyDelete