Thursday, June 9, 2011

desperate housewives part 2 of books and baking




Yikes..my original intention starting this blog was actually just to put book reviews or maybe the occasional movie reviews but I have the feeling that it was way..terpesong now. Ah..I have included so much about my life that it looks so caca marba by the way. Sekejap english sekejap cakap Melayu..hm..it's just for the benefit of my husband actually..he just don't understand why I started a blog. Since I'm probably just taking to myself..(hence the phobia that no one actually read my blog) I decided to condensed everything into one entry. Time and cost saving effort..right?


Lately all the books I've read are borrowed ones..budget cuts..huhu. But those are the sacrifices you make when you have a family..a bouncing 2 year old to be exact who needs new clothes every 3 months because he's growing so much..aghh..I'm babbling again. Ok focus mama..firstly book reviews.



A Doctor in the House by Tun Dr. Mahathir -former Malaysia Prime Minister


Firstly, I'm so not a political person but I admired Tun Dr. M for his unconventional Malay ways. And since I do bought his Malay Dilemma so it just come naturally for me to also have this one. It's thick and chockful of histories regarding Malaysia, UMNO, political stuff and nice interesting bits relating to his personal life. I mean really just bits..mostly it's about his political career and his ups and downs. He's a visionary that is undoubtly and I just hoped that my generation can produce someone as brilliant or maybe better than him. The book might be a bit expensive..it's RM100 mind you but it's worth it. Sometimes we need to read a bit of non fiction stuff, right? We can't all just read Mills and Boon all the time. Sorry Ja if you're reading this..hihi..




Other books..Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan



The most recent books I've read are the Percy Jackson series..haha. Yup I know it's kids stuff but since I'm reading Harry Potter anyway..what the (toot..). Percy Jackson is a demi god, the son of Greek god Poseidon. It's a bit confusing so it's better if you research about the Greek gods while reading this. Apparently being the son of a god makes you powerful sort of like Hercules.

Suffice to say it's an American version of Harry Potter with summer camps for half bloods and a centaur being the camp supervisor.


But of course the kids went for a quest as they called it to find the lightning of Zeus which are stolen only to discover betrayal by their own friend, Luke the son of Hermes messenger of the gods. There's interesting characters like Annabeth the daughter of Athena, goddess of wisdom and war strategy and Grovery; a satyr the supposedly junior protector of the kids. The first book has been made into a movie. A condensed but quite nice one.


The other books are way more interesting with the introduction of Thalia, long lost daughter of Zeus and Nico and Bianca children of Hades god of the underworld. Let's just hope they make it into movies as well.



Baking? You say..well with lots of time in my hand I've decided to make pancakes yesterday. Fluffy American pancakes not lempeng. My lil one seemed to like it. He gobble one instantly and bits of the second one can be found all over the living room. I think the secret to its fluffiness is the baking powder and baking soda. Very easy to make for dummies like me.


Pancake for dummies

Just 1 cup of flour to 1 cup of fresh milk.

Salt.

1 egg.

Baking powder.

Baking soda.1 teaspoon for both.

Butter or vegetable oil. Oil is better otherwise it'll be lumpy.

Sugar. I put half cup.

1. Put dry ingredients first

2. Then wet.

3. Mix together well until almost no lumps.

4. Scoop with spoon..nah those soup ladle one..half only

5. Put on nice flat pan and turn when it's all bubbly brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment