Saturday, June 18, 2011

may the odds be ever in your favour




Have you ever read a book so good that you can actually feel a chill went up and down your spine? Goosebumps even? Yeah..that's what happen to me to quite recently when I read the Hunger Games. It's so faced past and full of action that I just cannot put it down and have to finish it in less than one day.


It's the story set in a distant future in North America where a nation called Panem controlled by the Capitol forced every district to nominate a boy and a girl every year to participate in the hunger games. This Hunger Games is sort of like Survivor with a twist, the winner is the last remaining person in the game which means all the others must be dead or killed. Wow! It's so violent that sometimes I wonder how it could pass off as a YA book in the US. Our protagonist is 16 year old Katniss Everdeen who's from District 12- the poorest district in Panem. She volunteered to take her sister's place when she was choosen to be in the game.


She's feisty and have been providing for her family since her father died by hunting wild animals in the woods outside her district. As a survivor, you have an inkling she would eventually win the game but so many twists and turns happened and even an unexpected romance that what makes me hooked.


No wonder they're turning it into a movie. It's that great! With three books in all, the series is really fantastically violent but amazing! The first book is the best, the second is okay but the third is so cringe worthy violent. Forget Twilight, this is one series that everyone should look out for!

11 comments:

  1. I really want to read these. And preferably before the movie comes out. :)

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard a lot of good things about the series. It is on my wishlist. Hopefully I can read the st book before the movie is released. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep running across this series in blogs with lots of great reviews, so they are now on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need the read the last book of this series!
    Thanks for "reminding" me :)
    Can't wait to see the movie version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was afraid to read this and you jsut made it worse^^;;

    I'm really emotional so i'm not sure it's a serie for me. Violence can be ok if there are a real happy end but i'm not even sure to find that....

    all the best

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got this out from the llibrary! I can't wait to see what it's like!
    Romi.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this trilogy so much! I love every character. Yes, even President Snow. Weird, right?
    And somehow, despite the violence shown in the books, it doesn't feel too oppressive. It's more like heartbreaking. Because you know that the tributes and the people from the districts were just helpless victims of the twisted minds of the Capitol.
    Oh well. I'm getting emotional. Haha.

    I'm really looking forward for the movie. :)

    - Noely Jeleen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just started to read the first book of the series, I love it already! Can't wait the movie to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been hearing so much about this series and would love to read it and see the movie. Somehow I was never able to get into Survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a great series. I won a copy of the first book, but unfortunately never received it. I am thinking that I am just going to have to buy them myself because everyone seems to love these books. Thank you so much for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to read this series. Every one seems to be raving about it.

    GFC: Krista

    ReplyDelete