Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mini revew: 'tis the season

It's Halloween and although I'm not celebrating it, I decided to review books which features witches and wizards just for fun. This is the season to be spooky, right?

Once A Witch by Carrolyn MacCullogh
Published September 14th 2009


Thoughts:
Tamsin was born in a family of powerful witches but the downside of it is that she doesn't have any magical powers of her own unlike her super powerful and beautiful sister. So one day, a stranger comes to her grandmother's shop and just to prove her worth she decided to help the guy find a mysterious clock. Only it's not what it seems. The guy turns out to be another warlock, wizard, magician who is enemies with Tamsin's family for generations.
Oh dear..and Tamsin's power is actually to render other magicians powers useless, meaning other people's power cannot work on her. How cool!
I simply pity Tamsin in the first few chapters but cannot help but feel annoyed when she help the bad guy through sheer ignorance.

Verdict: 4 stars.

The Magicians by Lev Grossman
Published August 11th 2009

Thoughts:
There should be a warning with this book. 18SX or something because this is definitely not for the young or the young at heart like me. My instant dislike comes from all the booze and sex that certainly is not important to the main storyline.
This reminds me a lot of Harry Potter and Narnia. I'm not sure this is a parody but it's certainly close to that. Quentin; a 16 year old kid gets accepted into a prestigious magical college. Sounds familiar?
There  instead of becoming a nice magician like Harry, he befriended a group of the most obnoxious magician wannabes ever. So he fell in love with a brilliant but introvert witch named Alice. Graduate and become losers without a job until a secret button found by his arch nemesis; Penny transported them into a fantasy world called Fillory. Thus the story gets weirder and weirder up to the point that I'm completely baffled by it.
Since the book is divided into three parts, I found myself only liking the first part during which Quentin is still studying in Bakersbill.Other than that..well. It's more of a book for our male counterpart.

Verdict: 2 stars.

Both series have their latest book published this year and I'm still on the hunt for it. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. So, Tasmin's power is kinda like Bella in Twilight, right? Interesting...I should read the book.

    I do hope hope that Tasmin is more like Sabriel though, 'cos Bella is SO not my kind of heroine...keke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, that's why her mum keep her powers a secret. Not to worry sis...not so much mopey love stories in this one, I'm still trying to find it's sequel;Always A Witch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite enjoyed Once A Witch. I also felt sorry for her in the beginning because she kept thinking that she was an outcast in her family. Gabriel is very sweet and I'm glad he's there for her. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a Witch was great & since it wrapped-up the story nicely, I love now both books :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a thing for witchy books and both of these might tickle my fancy. Although, I know I’ve heard about a character that had a power like Tamsin’s power. Heavens, I can’t remember what book though. I guess there are no original ideas, uh?

    Patricia @ Lady with Books
    ladywithbooks@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete