Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Review: The Candidates


The Candidates (Delcroix Academy #1)
by InaraScott
293 pages
Published August 24th 2010
by Hyperion Book CH

Summary:
Dancia Lewis is far from popular. And that's not just because of heraverage grades or her less-than-glamorous wardrobe. In fact, Dancia'smediocrity is a welcome cover for her secret: whenever she sees a personthreatening someone she cares about, things just...happen. Cars skid.Structures collapse. Usually someone gets hurt. So Dancia does everythingpossible to avoid g...moreDancia Lewis is far from popular. And that's not just because of her average grades orher less-than-glamorous wardrobe. In fact, Dancia's mediocrity is a welcome cover for her secret: whenever she sees a person threatening someone she cares about, things just...happen. Cars skid. Structures collapse. Usually someone gets hurt. So Dancia does everything possible to avoid getting close to anyone, believing this way she can supress her powers and keep them hidden.
But when recruiters from the prestigious Delcroix Academy show up in her living room to offer her a full scholarship, Dancia's days of living under the radar may be over. Only, Delcroix is a school for diplomats' kids and child geniuses--not B students with uncontrollable telekinetic tendencies. So why are they treating Dancia like she's special? Even the hottest guy on campus seems to be going out of his way to make Dancia feel welcome.
And then there's her mysterious new friend Jack, who can't stay out of trouble. He suspects something dangerous is going on at the Academy and wants Dancia to help him figure out what. But Dancia isn't convinced. She hopes that maybe the recruiters know more about her "gift" than they're letting on. Maybe they can help her understand how to use it...But not even Dancia could have imagined what awaits her behind the gates of Delcroix Academy.

Thoughts:
I love boarding school stories? Don't you? So the beginning of the story sort of reminds me a bit of Harry Potter and then as the story unfolds there's also some similarities to the Hourglass. But really..I rather liked this one better. I used to attend a boarding school way back when I was a teen and I think the orientation parts in this book is giving me a very bad case of deja vu. It's damn realistic enough for me.

Likes
I love that there are a few supporting characters (Grandma, Henny and Esther) that are funny enough to keep the story interesting. Otherwise Dancia's inner monologues are a bit hard to swallow.

Dislikes
Ugh! Dancia's attraction to all around good guy; Cam is nauseous! It's too predictable! I was rooting the whole time that she end up with Jack. Hey, the guy's homeless. Give him a break.

I know this rehashed plot line of the girl who founds out that she's special is nothing new but I'm really looking forward to the next book just so I can find out what happens to bad boy; Jack. The action and mystery involved is what sets this book apart from all the rest.

Verdict: 4 stars.

5 comments:

  1. I love the cover of this book!
    donna
    ljldml@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heared for this book before. It sounds very interesting and the cover is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked this one up at the Borders closing sale and it has been sitting on my shelf ever since. Thanks for the review, it is helping to inspire me to finally pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this book, hopefully after the new year I can pick it up.

    seriousreader at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this book before, I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete