Saturday, September 15, 2012

Review: The Rise of Nine


The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies #3)
by Pittacus Lore
Published August 21st 2012
by HarperCollins
Summary from Goodreads:
Until the day I met John Smith, Number Four, I'd been on the run alone, hiding and fighting to stay alive.

Together, we are much more powerful. But it could only last so long before we had to separate to find the others. . . .

I went to Spain to find Seven, and I found even more, including a tenth member of the Garde who escaped from Lorien alive. Ella is younger than the rest of us, but just as brave. Now we're looking for the others--including John.

But so are they.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They caught me in New York--but I escaped.
I am Number Six. 
They want to finish what they started.
But they'll have to fight us first.

Thoughts:
As in the first two books, The Rise of Nine is filled with heart stomping action but without any real progress in its plotline. The surviving members of the Lorien are still running for their lives and are still trying to locate Number Eight in India. Since Number One, Two and Three have died, there's only Number Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight and Nine left.

Number Four (John) decided to venture to the mountain headquarters of the Mogadorians to retrieve his chest with his pal; Sam and his trusty pet; Bernie Kousar in tow. There they found Number Nine; a surly guy with a mysterious past.

While Six (Veronica) found Seven (Marina) in Spain in the previous book and now is locating number Eight. Six and Seven are also joined by Ella; a surprising member of the Garde who was in a different ship from their original flight from Lorien. The kids now have to scrambled to come together to face off the powerful Mogadorians leader Setrakus Ra who has arrived on Earth and apparently has teamed up with the FBI to exterminate the Garde.

The constant move from Six to Four's POV bothered me and is quite befuddling to my comprehension. If only the series are written from a third person point of view then I'm sure it'll be much more easier to understand. I think I just got lost towards the end where multiple POV's are involved. I do love Six. I think she's just way cool as a female action heroine. Even Sarah makes an appearance and kick some butt in this book but sadly I'm losing interest in the series.


For those of you who haven't read the first two instalments, this could be a really confusing read. My advice is to just stick with the movie which is based on the first book.

Verdict: 3 stars.
Available on: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment