Thursday, November 15, 2012

Review: Poison Princess

Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles #1)
by Kresley Cole
Published October 2nd 2012
by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Summary from Goodreads:
She could save the world—or destroy it.
Sixteen year old Evangeline “Evie” Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they’re still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.

But she can’t do either alone.
With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can’t totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him?

Who can Evie trust?
As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it’s not always clear who is on which side….

Thoughts:
This is my first Kresley Cole's book so I really have no expectations at all when I started it. Now, after finishing it, I'm still torn whether I should give this 3 or 2 stars. The story is quite intriguing and I found myself immersed in the mystery that surrounds Evie's gruesome hallucinations.

Unfortunately, it took some time for the story to pick up and I had to slogged through unnecessary back story of events that happened before the Flash. Things got more interesting once Evie's hallucinations/visions became a reality and the Flash occurred, where most of the human population not under any kind of shelter burned to ashes and a few of the survivors even turned into blood thirsty zombies.

But now that Evie is stuck with Jack trying to make their way towards Texas and Evie's grandmother, I'm constantly wishing that the characters are a bit more likeable. Jack is so rough and gruff and the epitome of the bad boy from the wrong side of town. And he's also rude, annoying and horny as hell. I'm sorry I just don't get why Evie's attracted to him.

And there are so many cringe-worthy moments in this book that made me seriously doubt whether it is indeed suitable for young adults. Scenes of torture, excessive violence and a deranged psychopath enjoying the pain he inflicted on his victims. It really turned me off at some point. So although, I'm very curious as to the whole Arcana legendary battle I'm not really sure whether I'll continue on with this series. The plot is interesting but so many elements of the book made me feel uncomfortable.

Available on: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment