Monday, February 25, 2013

Review: Scarlet


Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2)
by Marissa Meyer
Hardcover, 452 pages
Published February 5th 2013
by Feiwel and Friends
Summary from Goodreads:
Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.

As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.

Thoughts:
This is certainly a hard review to write. Usually when I did not enjoy a particular book, the rants are quite long. And when a book is so amazing, I tend to gush all the positive elements of it. But Scarlet left me feeling conflicted.

Cinder was in my top two of favourite books for last year. So understandably  my expectations and anticipations are quite high. Although I'd enjoyed the book considerably, I really think Cinder is much better. Maybe the main reason for me not being totally wowed by the book is because I love Cinder the main character so much. And to have her sharing the limelight and pages with several new characters that did not seemed at all interesting kind of annoys me.

Scarlet is indeed a much more aggressive and stronger character compared to Cinder. She's the epitome of the kick ass chicks that I love so much. If only Scarlet and Cinder meet quite earlier, then I'm sure they would make an awesome pair. Instead, we get Scarlet attracting the affection of a mysterious fighter/soldier of fortune called Wolf. In truth, I ended up skipping most of the parts where Scarlet and Wolf are involved. Their budding romance just seemed inappropriate in such circumstances. Fortunately, the quest for freedom and the mission to unravel the truth behind Cinder's past makes the story gripping enough for me. And the charming and impossibly chatty Captain Thorne is a big plus point in the story. I love his witty and funny interactions with Cinder and was hoping that they ended up together. Please feature more Thorne. He's such a charming rake!

In my Books in a Series Reading Challenge
Verdict: 4 stars.
Available on: Amazon 

No comments:

Post a Comment