Thursday, December 12, 2013

Review: Warrior

ebook, 336 pages
Published December 31st 2013
by HarperTeen
ARC from Edelweiss
Goodreads |  Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository
Summary from Goodreads:
First an outcast, now a hero.

But her fight rages on.

Kira, the yellow-eyed demon slayer who fiercely protected her kingdom—and the crown prince—has been proclaimed the Dragon Musado of the prophecy. With the defeated the evil shaman.

But it wasn’t enough.

Hansong is in chaos. The Demon Lord’s minions have infiltrated the city, treason is brewing among the military ranks, and Kira is buried by the overwhelming loss of her parents. She’s also plagued by the annoying feelings that blossom whenever she’s around Jaewon. But she is determined that nothing will stop her from finding the second treasure needed to fulfill the Dragon King’s prophecy. Not even the army of half-breed demons hot on their trail. If only she could learn to trust others…

Her father always said one person can change the world. Will it be Kira?

Thoughts:
As a fan of Korean drama, it is indeed natural for me to be lured by the promise of an epic adventure set in a fictional ancient Korean setting with mystical and paranormal elements thrown in. I mean how can I resist a saeguk inspired book featuring a strong sword wielding female demon hunter who has a cousin to protect and a prophecy to fulfil?


The first book was such an excellent addition to the abundance of YA epic fantasy books that is littered with Eropean setting that I devoured it in a matter of hours but the second book felt kind of meh in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I still love this series and I highly applaud the author for such an awesome adventure but there's too many things happening at the same time which is kind of confusing. 

The book is also suffering from such an uneven pace where sometimes the author describes something with so much details to the point of boredom while at the end just when the battle between the demon soldiers and Kira gets really exciting it ends rather abruptly and kind of anti-climactic for me. I also don't get it how a book with such an amazing world building, have such dull and boring characters? 

I really tried to like this book but since it left me puzzled most of the times and I don't feel a real connection to any of the characters, my feelings are quite mixed after finishing it. Maybe I should just stick to watching ancient Korean dramas with kick-ass chicks instead of reading about them.





In my Books in a series & Fantasy Reading Challenge 

No comments:

Post a Comment