Monday, February 17, 2014

Review: Perfect Lies

Perfect Lies (Mind Games #2)
by Kiersten White
eARC, 240 pages
Published February 18th 2014
by HarperTeen
ARC from Netgalley
Goodreads |  Amazon | Barnes & Noble | TBD



Annie and Fia are ready to fight back.

The sisters have been manipulated and controlled by the Keane Foundation for years, trapped in a never ending battle for survival. Now they have found allies who can help them truly escape. After faking her own death, Annie has joined a group that is plotting to destroy the Foundation. And Fia is working with James Keane to bring his father down from the inside.

But Annie's visions of the future can't show her who to trust in the present. And though James is Fia's first love, Fia knows he's hiding something. The sisters can rely only on each other - but that may not be enough to save them. 




This is a hard one. I really, really like Kiersten's earlier work and Mind Games was one of my favourite for last year. But now that I have the chance to look back and really reflect, I realised that Kiersten's writing just didn't click with me this time. I tried so hard to like this series and ended up being slightly confused on why had I like the first book so much. It's really quite a stretch for me to read about characters that get on my nerves. And boy, Fia just got on my nerves big time. Since the book alternately switch POV's between the two sisters; the blind Annie and the crazy Fia, I flipped through most of Fia's part rather quickly.

I know we're supposed to feel sorry for her but she's so unlikeable. She thinks about killing people, or hurting people all the time. And when she's not into violent thoughts, she's into dancing. What? I was wishing most of the time that someone will eventually shoot her to end her misery.


And Annie? I just don't connect with Mary Sue. And she's pretty much one. I know she's blind and all that but being too dependent on people around her just makes it hard. In the first book she's holed up in the special school controlled by the Keane Foundation but now that she's escaped, she is rather useless even with her visions of the future. Thankfully, the story is really short because it's only 159 pages on ebook. Otherwise, I might just go crazy and ended up just like Fia.






No comments:

Post a Comment