Sunday, February 9, 2014

Review: White Space

White Space (Dark Passages #1)
by Ilsa J. Bick 
ebook, 560 pages 
February 11th 2014
by Egmont USA
ARC from Netgalley
Goodreads AmazonB & N TBD


Ilsa Bick’s WHITE SPACE, pitched as The Matrix meets Inkheart, about a seventeen-year-old girl who jumps between the lines of books and into the white space where realities are created and destroyed – but who may herself be nothing more than a character written into being from an alternative universe, to Greg Ferguson at Egmont, in a two-book deal, by Jennifer Laughran at Andrea Brown Literary Agency (NA). 


I'm all about second chances. So eventhough Ilsa J. Bick's earlier book; Ashes was really not to my liking, I'm willing to give her new series a try. After all the premise of Inkheart and The Matrix sounds amazing  and I thought to myself "Hey what could go wrong with that?"

Well, I'm so wrong. Everything is SO-SO WRONG. This is nothing near Inkheart. Maybe reading two books in a row about people having trouble in determining what's real and what's not is too much for my 30 something brain. (I just finished Insanity by Cameron Jace before this). And White Space with it's countless made up words just annoyed and baffled me. I'm constantly asking myself whether I'm reading a book about a girl with a crazy famous writer dad or a book about a college girl imagining herself to be that girl with a crazy but famous writer dad who happens to have some kind of creepy magical talent where he can just imagine all of his books to come true. The line between what's real and what's not is so blurred, jumbled up and twisted altogether that I feel as if I'm on bad road trip that never ends. There's so much to figure out which is kind of overwhelming. 




At some point it just got too much since I found myself reading a particular chapter over and over again just to make sense what is going on. Is Lizzie and Emma the same person? Or is Emma imagining all of this in her head? And what's up with Professor Kramer? Kudos to anyone who can actually make heads or tail out of this book. 



No comments:

Post a Comment