Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Review: Red Queen

Red Queen
by Victoria Aveyard
Published February 10th 2015
by Orion
Goodreads AmazonB & N TBD

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red Girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?


It is indeed one of my anticipated book of 2015 and when I started reading it, I was so confident that it is a 5 star read. I love the fact that Mare comes from a poor and loving family. I find it interesting that in her world even girls are conscripted to serve in the war when you turned eighteen. And Mare was doomed from the start. She was not an apprentice like her younger sister Gisa who is a skilled seamstress or her best friend Kilorn who is a future fisherman. She had no apparent talent other than pickpocketing. So she had accepted the fate that awaits her earlier on. 

But a chance encounter with a stranger and a twist of fate change Mare and Kilorn's life forever. Mare was whisk off to the summer palace of the ruling Silver to serve as a servant. And that's when things get really interesting. But let me spare you all the details.

As I said, there's so many things that I like about this book. The setting, the wonderful world building and the fact that the main character is not an orphan that just spring out of nowhere like most female YA protagonist. Mare reminds me a bit of Katniss. With her brothers away at war, her family looks up to her to take care of them so it does make some sense when she took the risks to protect her family.

What I don't get is..how easily she is caught up in a love triangle with the two charming Silver princes? I mean really...she is supposed to be this cool savior of the Reds but she has times to secretly dance at night with one and be all romantic with the other? Seriously I was rolling my eyes at this point.
And that ending just came out of nowhere. It bothers me that I was left hanging with more questions at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment